Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Pen Interview with Minnette Meador!



Welcome to our interview edition of The Pen Review! I had the joy in speaking to Minnette Meador for an interview to learn more about her and her works. She is a fantastic author to watch for. Enjoy the interview! Please check out her website www.minnettemeador.com for more information!





Where are you from?
Tell us a little about yourself!

I was born and raised in beautiful Oregon where I started to sing before I could talk. At the ripe old age of 13, I began a professional singing career that lasted, altogether, about twenty years (which is a story unto itself). I have six kids, all grown, two grand kids, one slightly used husband, and a 4 lb toy poodle named Pierre who runs the show. We currently live in Woodburn, Oregon where I write full time and take care of my darling granddaughter, Fernie, age 3.


What inspires you to write? Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?

I would love to tell you that lazy little vixon takes over, but most of the time, it's just plain work. She contributes once in a while when she's not doing her nails or reading gossip mags. I am inspired by music, a rousing good time movie, long walks in the woods, or my husband's kisses. The rest is pure, unadulterated dedication. But I love it to the bottom of my little piggies.

Tell us about the Starsight series! The covers look amazing! Did you plan on these covers or is there an amazing story behind them?

Starsight is the story of an old warrior woman and Starguider who has to guide a student she loves to become a messiah. There is lots of adventure, magic galore (as Piers said), and some great plot twists. Nothing is black or white. The cover was done by local Portland artist Derrick Freeland. He is an amazing illustrator who works a lot in graphic novels. He also happens to be my son and I'm extremely proud of him. If anyone want to see more of his work, go to http://derrickfreeland.blogspot.com . He's also available for other work for anyone interested (says the meddlesome mother).
Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?

I have two historical romances out about Roman Britannia and the Boudicca revolution, The Centurion & The Queen (available at Amazon, BN, Borders, etc.) and The Edge of Honor (out in eBook through Resplendence, Fictionwise, Mobibook, etc. - available in paperback in December 2008). These are about Marius, a Roman centurion, and Delia, a Celtic queen, who fall in love in the midst of revolution. I am currently working on Keenan's Dilema, a paranormal erotic comdy about a guy who sees...well, more on that later.

What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?

1. If you don't have a critique partner, get yourself one. I would go to www. critters. org as a great first step. You can also join Gather (www. gather. com), which is a wonderful community of writers that really help each other out. This is essential for any up and coming writer. However you do it, a critique partner is essential. There are lots of great articles out there (especially through RWA groups) about hunting and catching the best critique partner.

2. Join your local writer's association. I belong to many of these and they are extremely helpful in many ways; they offer classes, critique groups, industry information, publishing info, query letter help, and more. Not only join, but get involved with them. They will help you more than anything else. Plus, they will get you involved in writer's conferences, which is a wonderful way to meet editors and industry professionals, not to mention other writers that can help you.

3. Also get involved with some of the genre specific writing organizations; I belong to a couple of Yahoo fantasy writing groups, paranormal groups, and probably a hundred romance groups. They can also be very helpful. Just go to Yahoo Group search for groups and it will give you an extensive list.


What are your favorite books at the moment?


Not sure if you mean to read or write, but here goes for both; I'm always in love with my current project. By the time I get through all the editing phases of a novel, I'm pretty much sick of it, but I like to go back later to look. As far as reading; I'm a huge Mary Stewart fan, so I reread most of her books. I am currently on a rerun through all of
Michael Crichton books now, to honor him. Unfortunately, I get so little time to read anymore. I have a 20' stack of book on my TBR pile. I also edit for my publisher, so that's about all the reading (beyond my own stuff) I have time for these days. I'm looking forward to finding time for everything.

What's your favorite word? Least favorite?
Luxuriate...got

Special Note from Minnette :

I will be signing both Starsight I and II along with The Centurion & The Queen on November 22nd from 1pm-5pm at the Clackamas Town Center, Lower Level, JC Penney Court. 30% of the proceeds will be donated to the Doernbecher Children's Hospital, so please come join myself and several other local authors for this wonderful event. I will also be appearing at Powell's Books Beaverton on December 11th from 7pm-9pm with both Starsight books and the brand new sequel to The Centurion & The Queen, The Edge of Honor. For more information, please visit my webpage at www.minnettemeador.com.

Congratulations to Julie for winning the contest giveaway for a copy of Minnette's Starsight Series!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous interview!!! Minnette is a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I enjoyed the chat and the interview with Minnette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nancy - After about three kids, it all kind of stays the same ~teehee~ I appreciate the encouragement. M:)

    ReplyDelete