Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Pen Review: Anam Cara


Welcome to the night edition of The Pen Review! I have come to bring you a book near and dear to my heart. This all thanks to the author, Keena Kincaid for introducing me to her work, Anam Cara. As I said before I am a lover of all things Celtic. I love history and so this book was quite the treat for me. Anam Cara is the Celtic belief of spiritual bond or connecting.

This lovely story follows the path of two souls, one who has been looking for a while to find that one he once loved. This story follows the travels of Branwyn ap Owen and that of his brother Aeden. Both are blessed with gifts, some that Bran and others may consider a curse. Bran has committed a wrong in his ancient past which he has tried to right. A wrong that has the name of Liza. Liza is an inn keeper with her own secrets and past. She wants nothing to do with the minstrel l that just walked in. Somehow Bran has to find a way to undo the hurt of the past in order to possibly make a future. Will these two find the love they once had or will the problems of the past creep up once more to stop their love? Want to find out more? Follow the amazing excerpt below!

Rating : PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Back of book blurb:


Branwyn ap Owen knows it’s appointed for men “once to die, then the judgment” but his hell is to live again and again until he rights an ancient wrong. Unlike other such souls caught on a karmic wheel, he remembers the past, and he always remembers her.

Liza knows nothing of the vow trapping her in Bran’s judgment, yet when he walks into her inn, she knows he could destroy the life she has carefully built over the years if she lets him get too close. Trouble is, Bran can’t take a hint, no matter how blunt she is.

Determined to repair the damage of his first betrayal, Bran uses the knowledge of a thousand years to woo Liza. Yet just as he begins to regain her heart, a fresh betrayal threatens their last hope for love.

Excerpt:
Bran frowned at the bite in her voice. “I do no’ ken yer anger with me, Liza. No’ even the Scots are this combative. Do I remind ye of yer husband or a lover who ill-used ye?”

“I have had no lover but him.”

“Perhaps that ‘tis the problem. Ye want what ye can no’ have.”

She made a sound between disgust and laughter. “Oh, I am quite certain I can have it if I but ask.”

“Aye, ye could.”

She stared at the river.

“Liza.”

Her name on his tongue pulled her agitation into a sharp-pointed need. She ached.

“I can no’ offer ye the morrow. Even if I ne’er leave Carlisle, this moment is all that is mine to give.”

She made the mistake of looking at him. He claimed her attention, kept it. Heat sparked between them. Nervousness swarmed like excited bees in her stomach. Wulfric had never made her tingle with expectation, and Aelric for all his sweetness never caused her body to knot like a Celtic brooch. Bran did both just by breathing.


I really enjoyed reading this story. I love all the characters. The dialogue and scenery were rich. I felt transported there. Keena is one of my favorite new authors to watch. Her debut novel is now available through Wild Rose Press. Be sure to get it in print on Dec. 5th! Be sure to watch out for her next work, Art of Love coming March of next year!



Please visit Keena's Website: http://keenakincaid.com

5 comments:

  1. I do like the sound of this--spiritual bonding--awesome.

    Linda
    www.lindalaroque.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my tbr list Keena. It sounds wonderful, and what a fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keena,
    Loved you excerpt. the story sounds very intriqueing. I am into anything Scottish. Just the way they speak gets me all the time, and you have got the accent down perfectly.
    Regards
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have already heard good things about this book and look forward to buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by! I cannot wait to get this book as well. It was such a great read.

    ReplyDelete