Friday, January 23, 2009

The Grammar Guru

Today, class, we will attempt clarification of the dreaded "you and me" versus "you and I." This one gives people fits and it's really so easy (she says optimistically!).

This phrase is almost invariably preceded by a preposition such as "before," "after," "with," "between," etc. Getting the picture? If you consider "me" the object of the preposition (and you should, since this is a rule of grammar), your choice is greatly simplified. In your mind, just drop everything between the preposition and the object and let your ear tell you the rest.

Example: The children want to come with you and I/me.
Drop the "you and I." This gives you: The children want to come with me. Sounds right.
Now, drop "you and me." This gives you: The children want to come with I. Sounds wrong.
Correct grammar: The children want to come with you and me.

When in doubt, trust your ear.

Now, that didn't hurt too much, did it?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Miriam! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denisse. Well, it made my life a lot easier once I learned that trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW MIRIAM even this old dog can learn a new trick, THANKS and now I can proof and edit even better without thinking about it. You rock ... well that goes without saying my friend. Thanks for the tip. Pretty painless AND it makes sense.

    Lainey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Miriam! Editors EVERYWHERE will love you for this blog!

    ReplyDelete