Monday, January 26, 2009

The Pen Interview with Dawn McClure

Welcome to the interview edition of The Pen Review. I had the pleasure of interviewing Dawn McClure. I'm into things angelic and if you love romance, action, and angels then you will surely love these works by Dawn ! Check out the interview and then go check out her works!

Books to Check out & Read:

Azazel by Dawn McClure - Purchase
Asmodeus by Dawn McClure - Purchase

Publisher: Samhain Publishing

Website: http://www.dawnmcclure.com/


Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!

I was born in Illinois, raised in California, and I’ve lived in Italy, Florida, Michigan and North Carolina. Right out of high school I joined the United States Navy and set out to see the world. In Italy I met my husband. He was a Marine that guarded the building I worked in. Who can resist a man with a big…gun? ☺ It was love at first sight, and we’ve been happily married for over ten years.

What inspires you to write? Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?

I started reading romance at the tender age of twelve. My husband had his work cut out for him, because after reading about all those yummy heroes…well, let’s just say I had a certain standard. ☺ It was around the age of twenty that I tried to write my own romance, and I immediately acquired a fan – my mother. Suffice to say, those early attempts will never see the light of day. I didn’t get serious about writing until I joined RWA and met so many wonderful writers who were just like me. That gave me the motivation to finish my first novel.

The process is different every time I start a book. Sometimes the muse comes along and the story flows, and sometimes she’s MIA. I like to call it magic. There are times I look back at my writing and need a stiff drink, and other times I look back and wonder where the words came from – that’s when the magic happens, when a story takes on a life all its own.

Tell us about your works, Asmodeus and Azazel! The covers look amazing! What inspired you to write them? How excited where you to receive a contract for your work?

When I came up with the premise for Azazel I was in the bubble bath. One line came to me out of no where – “I’ll break your back like a dry twig in autumn.” Where it came from, I’ve no idea. I wasn’t even thinking about a specific story, or what I was going to write next. Nonetheless, I got out of the bath quickly and started writing Azazel.

When the premise for Asmodeus came to me I was at home alone. My husband was in Iraq, my daughters were spending the night at a friend’s house, and I had been watching scary movies. Well, to put it bluntly, I freaked myself out. I was sitting on my bed with my laptop and I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I wrote the first chapter of Asmodeus that night, and when you read about Brianna’s fear in the first chapter…yeah, that about sums up how I was feeling at the time I wrote it. ☺

The cover art for Asmodeus was done by Angela Waters, and the cover art for Azazel was done by Natalie Winters. Both artists did such a great job. ☺

Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?
I just finished up with Samael. This is Jade’s novella, a character I introduced in Azazel. She’s a kick-ass assassin for the Alliance but she has a bit of a secret - one she isn’t sharing with her boss, Ambrose. That secret forces Ambrose to put her on probation, and Samael (another yummy demon) is sent in to watch Jade and report on her progress. Ambrose gives her four missions to prove she deserves to remain an assassin in the Alliance - and Samael is there to keep her in line…in more ways than one.

What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?
Write, write, write. Don’t quit because you get rejection letters. Don’t quit because you get low scores in a contest. Don’t quit because your critique partner gets crazy with her red pen. When you get a rejection letter go celebrate. It’s a step in the right direction! I framed every single rejection letter I ever received and they are proudly displayed in my office. Enjoy the journey to publication. Stay motivated and keep your focus on your ultimate goal. Patience in this business is a must.

What are your favorite books at the moment?
I just finished reading Demon Night by Meljean Brook. It was fantastic. If you’re into historical romance you might want to pick up His Woman by Diana Cosby. It’s the second book in a series, the first being His Captive. Both books are great. ☺ Another great paranormal romance is Tempt Me With Darkness by Shayla Black (aka Shelley Bradley). I could go on and on, so I’ll stop there for now.

What is your favorite word? Least favorite?
LOL! I’ve never had this question before. Hmmm….my favorite words are those that I can spell without using spell-check…oh, wait a minute. Okay. ☺ My favorite word is obsidian. I use that word to describe the eyes of my angels when they are emotionally charged. Try to say that word without it sounding ominous and sinfully sexy. My least favorite word is failure. My characters don’t like it, I don’t like it, and I think anyone with a dream would like it removed from the dictionary. ☺

Thanks so much for having me, Denise. :o) Have a wonderful 2009!

You have a wonderful 2009, Dawn! I wish you the best of success!

8 comments:

  1. Jacqueline BarbaryJanuary 28, 2009 at 5:00 AM

    I can't wait to read Asmodeus. It looks and sounds like a novel I'll love. And how interesting to get a glimpse into how you met your husband and how you get your ideas. I especially loved how one line came to you and inspired an entire story!
    Barbara J. Hancock
    www.barbarajhancock.com
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/embrace_the_shadows/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read, Dawn! Terrific interview! Like Barbara, I liked the one line inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice to aspiring writers, Dawn, and great interview all around! You prove that if you keep pursuing your dream no matter what, you'll make it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for joining us at the blog! I hope to bring more interesting and fun interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, Dawn. There's nothing like a good demon, I always say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, great interview. Can't wait to get to grips with your little demons. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dropping by to let everyone know I appreciate your responses. :o)

    Writing about demons and their redemption through the love of a woman has been so much fun. I've always loved bad boys...and demons are the origninal bad boys, aren't they? :o)

    I hope everyone has a wonderful day. Stay warm and thanks for stopping by! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dawn! I was just checking Miriam's Grammar Guru when I came upon your interview. I already bought Asmodeus, but haven't had a chance to start reading it yet. I'm knee-deep in promotions for Delora's Necklace, my new time travel. As soon as I come up for air, I'll settle in with Asmodeus. Can't beat angels and demons for stoking the home fires. Take care.

    ReplyDelete