Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Pen Review & Interview: Terry Spear

Welcome to the Sunday edition of The Pen Review & Interview ! Today I have one of my favorite authors to review and interview, Terry Spear! As you all may know Terry's works have been highly rated. From medieval Scottish highlanders, to vampires, or wolves, Terry's works have inspired and swept us away. I got the chance to read Destiny of the Wolf, which debuts tomorrow. So be sure to pick yourself up a copy! Also, be sure to check out the fun interview and get to know Terry herself!


Destiny of the Wolf

Author: Terry Spear
Website: http://www.terryspear.com/
Publisher: Source Books, Inc.
Pages: 448
Purchase: Amazon
Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Summary:


All she wants is the truth…

Lelandi Wildhaven is determined to discover the truth about her beloved sister’s mysterious death.But everyone thinks she’s out to make a bid

for her sister’s widowed mate…

He’s a pack leader tormented by memories...

Darien Silver blames himself for his mate’s death.

When her twin arrives in his town, he finds himself

bewitched, and when someone attempts to silence

her, he realizes that protecting the beautiful stranger

might be the only way to protect his pack…

and himself…


This tantalizing, action packed romance, revolves around Darien Silver. A man who is tormented by his mates death. The one person he did not expect to come into his life was his mate's twin, Lelandi. When Lelandi is threatened by those who want to hurt her, Darien has to protect her. What will they encounter? Who will fall? Those who love action packed romances with all the magic of fantasy will enjoy the ride Terry takes you on from start to finish. The chemistry of Darien and Lelandi set the pages of Destiny of the Wolf afire! Be sure to pick up your copy and be ready to be swept off into a world of romance and werewolves!


Now to the great interview with Terry Spear herself! Enjoy!

Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!


Originally, I'm from California, panned for gold even, :), wandered through the jungle-like swamps across the street from where I lived in Central Florida, braved the winters in Wisconsin and Colorado, loved the fall colors in NJ and Maryland, the Oregon beaches and cities, yep, I lived all over between having a dad in the AF, and worked for Aerospace and, then when I served as an officer in the Army. Which has given me tons of great real life places to write about. :)

How did you get into writing? Who inspired you to keep at it ?

I've always made up stories, and have always been an avid, obsessive reader. :) My dad was my inspiration, who said I would make it with my writing, and was reading my first historical romance even while they were running tests on him at the hospital. He died of a fast acting cancer before I published my first story. It was The Thirteenth Mission about his last mission before his plane was shot down, and I couldn't write anything because I couldn't quit thinking about him and his life. So crying the whole time, I wrote a small glimpse into one of his perilous adventures. He had many! :) That published work propelled me into writing for magazines and taking a chance to work on my novels again.

What inspires you to write? Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?

I love creating stories, but I've found the best way for me to keep on track is to brainstorm the first meeting between the hero and heroine, what their goals are, and what motivates them to reach these goals. After that, the story evolves as I write. I don't plot out my stories.

Tell us about your works? What inspired you to write them? Who is your favorite character and why?

Right now I have Winning the Highlander's Heart out, a medieval romantic suspense, and what inspired me to write about this story, was doing some research on the various kings of England. Henry I was one of my favorite, so I developed the story around him, the Scots, the Normans, and the Saxons. I love to do research, so when I began writing the werewolf series, Heart of the Wolf, I wanted to ensure that the werewolves when in their wolf forms were like real wolves, except with human sensibilities, and when in their human forms, still had the wolf's attributes. :) Now Destiny of the Wolf follows, just released, with the concept that the town in Colorado is actually run by a werewolf pack, but the werewolves retain anonymity. Temptation of the Wolf follows in the fall. I also write young adult paranormals, The Vampire...In My Dreams, and Deidre's Secret, (psychic teen) coming in March. And the vampire romantic suspense, Deadly Liaisons, coming Mar 31. I loved all my characters, from the arrogant but sensitive heroes, to the spunky females, and the 2ndary characters that keep them jumping. :)

Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?

Huntress for Hire is another vampire romantic suspense, currently requested, so I'm revising it to send in. And I'm working on Plight of the Wolf and the sequel to The Vampire...In My Dreams. How does The Vampire...In My Nightmares sound to you? :)

What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?

Never give up!!! :) Keep on revising, submitting, writing new works, and some day you'll get there. Just persevere.

What are your favorite books at the moment?

I love Moning's works, Joy Nash's, and Rebecca York's. I'm currently working on judging the Rita so have several books I have to read for that.

What is your favorite word? Least favorite?

oxymoron. :) I love the sound and the meaning. Least favorite is Disrespect, used as a verb. It is not a verb...as in, "You disrespect me." My father learned to really read while he was a POW for 16 months in German camps, since he was only 16 when he enlisted. He was a stickler for grammar and when we used something that was incorrect because it had become the fad, he corrected us constantly. His mother was illiterate, so it was really important that we used grammar correctly. It just always stuck with me. :)

Thanks so much for interviewing me, Denisse!

13 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview, Terry and Denisse!! I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waving hi, Vonda! Thanks so much! Have a super Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I started reading Destiny of the Wolf last night. It's fantastic so far. Can't wait to see what Lelandi does next. (Loved the restroom scene lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Dawn, when one of my critique partners read that, she said she loved it, and it was about time!! :) Sometimes a woman has just got to do what a woman's got to do. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interview! Congratulations on your release Terry. It sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Neoindra! I appreciated your dropping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview!!! The book sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing and interesting life you've had, Terri! I love the sound of your new novel. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading about how your father inspired you. What a wonderful dad! Too many parents stress practicality over creativity...even if forcing yourself to do a job you hate is the most impractical thing of all.

    Wonderful interview. I'm so glad I had the chance to visit~

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a great book, Terry. Nice interview, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Sherri! Yeah, it was interesting all right. :)

    Thanks, Barbara. Both my parents were artists and very creative, so that helped. Though they both knew that doing anything in the line of creative work often means never making any money at it! :)

    Thanks so much, Miriam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for coming to the blog. I hope you all enjoyed the interview and review of Terry's work. I was glad to do it as she was my favorite authors to read.

    ReplyDelete