Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Pen Review & Interview with Jeannie Ruesch


Something About Her
Author:
Jeannie Ruesch
Website:http://www.jeannieruesch.com/
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Price: 6.00 ebook 13.49 print
Purchase Ebook Print Book
Rating:PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Summary:

Michael Ashton, the Duke of Ravensdale, is caught in two scandals, neither of which is his own doing. The first involves a woman (don’t they always), and the second…well, it also involves a woman and a large sum of stolen money. To clear his family name, Michael must track down his charlatan cousin… the same cousin believed to be dead.

Blythe Willoughby Ashton has been married for a year, but hasn’t been a wife for even a day. When she learns of her husband’s death, she just wants to be left alone. Then her husband’s cousin shows up uninvited on her doorstep, looking more handsome than any man should.

He is the one man she knows she shouldn’t trust. She is the one woman he knows he can’t have.

Why I liked it: I really loved how Jeannie wrote both characters of Blythe and Michael. When starting to read this story, I instantly fell into it as I whisked away by the setting and the plot. Jeannie really know how to write her historicals, the research speaks for itself. I would have to say after reading the story about these two characters, the one really dynamic character would be that of Micheal's daughter, Bethie. She is one of my favorites as she is the catalyst for the many things that happen between the major characters. So grab this book and slip into another time where love begins all over again.

The Interview

Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!


I was raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, in a city called Fremont. More specifically, I grew up in a small community named Niles. It was the perfect place to grow up as a child. Our house was next to a large park with ponds and bamboo forests, nature gone wild, and all sorts of places for kids to play make-believe. Fremont is also right next to the heart of Silicon Valley, so it's not surprising that computers became a big part of my life.

Now, I live in a small town between Sacramento and Napa Valley. This town is very reminiscent of where I grew up -- we have less than 10,000 residents -- and I love being able to raise my son here.

What inspires you to write?

What inspires me to write is the feeling I get when I'm doing it, when I've finished, when I've figured out a tricky plot twist, or gotten a better, deeper understanding of a character. It's in my blood. It's truly what I feel I was meant to do. I write because I have to. Even if I never got another book published, I would still write for the sheer joy of doing it (but of course I'm hoping and working toward that not being the case). *g*

Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?

Truly, there are days when I think coffee is my muse. LOL When I get into a groove, it's usually by placing myself into that right frame of mind. And let's face it, with a three year old, two day jobs and a husband, interruptions are by the minute. So I have to be able to pick up where I left off and continue on....and we're back to the constant cup of coffee on my desk. :)

Tell us a bit about your Something About Her. What inspired you to write it?

SOMETHING ABOUT HER is a historical set in the Regency era, and it shares the love story of two people who have every reason not to fall in love:

Michael Ashton, the Duke of Ravensdale, is caught in two scandals, neither of which is his own doing. The first involves a woman (don’t they always), and the second…well, it also involves a woman and a large sum of stolen money. In order to save the reputation Michael has spent his life rebuilding, he must track down the widow of his presumed-dead cousin in order to charm...or seduce her missing husband's whereabouts from her.

Lady Blythe Ashton wants nothing to do with any man, much less a relative of the man who abandoned her on their wedding day. So when Thomas’s cousin—a duke, no less—shows up uninvited on her doorstep, looking more handsome and irresistible than any man should, Blythe instinctively doesn’t trust him nor does she want to like him. But her traitorous heart doesn’t seem to care.

At the same time, Michael’s clear agenda gets quite blurry when the woman he believes an accomplice to his cousin's schemes turns out to be the woman he can give his heart to…and the only one he can’t have.


Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?

The rest of the Willoughby siblings are getting very vocal about their turn! I'm currently working on Book 2, Adam's story with a working title of HER RELUCTANT HERO, which will be followed by the other three sisters getting their books.


What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?

On the bulletin board next to my desk, I have a sign that says one thing: Believe. Don't give up on your dream. If it's truly what you want -- to be published -- then keep working, keep writing and keep learning. You will achieve it. Abe Lincoln made the comment that he believed in luck...and the harder he worked, the more luck he had. So sit your butt in the chair and work hard.

Also remember that the world of publishing is actually very supportive and very small. Be true to yourself, be generous with others and learn from them. Take opportunities when they arise, and be thankful and grateful for them. Be genuine. It goes a lot farther than many people realize.


What are your favorite books at the moment?

My all-time favorite books rarely change. LOL They are a staple in my bookshelves and have been repurchased numerous times to ensure I always have them. I believe I've rebought WHITNEY MY LOVE by Judith McNaught about 4 times. Kathleen Woodiwiss' COME LOVE A STRANGER. Nora Roberts Chesapeake Bay series (They are like one book to me.) And an old favorite, the CAITLIN series by Francine Pascal, beloved since I was a teenager. For me, it's always characters that stay...ones I can't forget, ones who become like friends.

At times new books will bump their way up. Just this past year, I added BOOK OF SCANDAL, by Julia London to my list of favorites -- I have not been able to forget her hero and heroine, Nathan and Evelyn. Their story was beautiful. I also recently discovered Karen Rose and I'm LOVING her books.

What is your favorite word? Least favorite?

Favorite WORD? Am I expected to chose one? LOL Wow, this might take some thought...

On the flipside, I'm not a fan of swear words and rarely use them. (Engrained from my grandmother, I think. LOL) I recall the last time I uttered an expletetive that started with "s" and ended with "t" my hubby looked like he might keel over.

However, like many writers I imagine, if I hear the word "fresh" one more time and it's not related to vegetable quality, I might throw something at the person who says it.

Thanks for having me here! :)

8 comments:

  1. Great interview Jeannie! Not only are you wonderful at making business cards and websites, your book sounds fabulous too! Love the cover its awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. Two jobs and a family? You should be canonized! I wish I could write that way.

    Best of luck with your book. It sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chicks of C.... Thanks so much! It's easy to make good stuff when I've got great clients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gwnlyn...Thank you! And actually, up until this month, I had 3 jobs and a family. LOL I finally realized I had to sleep...

    And I'm excited, in the month of September, I'm taking off the month from my design job and focusing 100% on my writing. Eeee!! Never done that before and can't wait to see how much I accomplish. I just hope Fred the Muse doesn't decide to go on vacation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy, Thank you! And thank you for commenting... Sorry I couldn't swing by yesterday. Home with my son and he made getting much of anything done impossible...so the minutes I did have I had to focus on the day job. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, hit the send button before I was finished...

    And to Denise -- Thank you so much for the interview, for having me and for being such a terrific client, to boot!! :)

    I'm thrilled that you loved SAH and most especially Bethie. She was a favorite of mine to write, and I had such fun figuring out her antics and how she could make things worse and at times, better. Someday, she'll get her own story.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your welcome Jeannie! Thank you for the interview and review of your work and also for everything you have done. You are my go to designer from now on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that cover, and excerpts, will have to make sure I get this, Jeannie. Thought I had, but not finding it in my folder.

    ReplyDelete