Friday, November 13, 2009

The Pen Interview: Kilted Lover & Nicole North!


d_299.jpg

Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!
I’m from North Carolina . It’s a beautiful state with lots of green, wonderful mountains, beautiful beaches. Of course, I’d love to live in Scotland in summer, and perhaps a nice tropical island in winter. I love to hike, swim, bicycle or just sit and take in beautiful scenery. I love to explore new places and try new things. And when it comes to writing, I like to try new things, as well, or challenge myself with new elements.



What inspires you to write?
The need to express myself and be creative. The need to entertain others and affect them in some way. I enjoy playing with words and using them to create mental pictures because I’m a visual person. I never know what will inspire a story, since many things have. I might hear a song and instantly two characters appear in my head, and I hear their dialogue. This is exciting and I like to see where it leads.



Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?
Most of the time it does. Some stories are more fun to write than others. Some flow easily and others don’t. I still haven’t figured out how to make them all flow easily as if they’re writing themselves. But when they do, it’s a blast, and very rewarding.



Tell us a bit about Kilter Lover? What inspired it?
The Highland Games inspired Kilted Lover. I have a friend who writes sometimes and we attend Highland Games together. I told her we should brainstorm and come up with one story each which starts at Highland Games. I don’t think she created one, but I created two. One is Kilted Lover and the other is Devil in a Kilt in Secrets Volume 27. I’ve always found caber tossing an interesting event at the Games, so I decided to make the hero of Kilted Lover a caber-tosser. I wanted him to be big, tall, strong and muscular. He also needed to be a true hero type, put his life on the line and come to the rescue of a stranger, a woman whose name he didn’t know but a woman he was instantly attracted to. Originally it started out as a sort of contemporary spoof of Scottish romance novels, which I love. But I wanted to give it a humorous twist. The heroine thinks of the hero as a Scot because of his kilt, and his name is Scott. Her name is Les, (short for Leslie,) which sounds like lass. And one of the villains is English. The story does contain some humor, but also action, adventure, suspense, and of course hot erotic scenes.



Here’s the blurb for Kilted Lover: When kilted caber tosser Scott MacPherson tosses Leslie Livingston over his shoulder to rescue her from two armed thieves trying to steal her priceless amulet, they are thrust into a deadly but sexy adventure. Though Leslie already has a lukewarm, uninterested boyfriend, her attraction to Scott is white hot and undeniable. She wants to lick this tall, muscular alpha male all over and explore the depths of eroticism with him. But will he want anything more than one night once the danger is behind them?



Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?
I just turned in a historical paranormal erotic romance novella, Scoundrel in a Kilt, third in the kilted shape-shifter series, behind Devil in a Kilt and Beast in a Kilt. (Unrelated to Kilted Lover.) Scoundrel is about Brodie a cursed Highland chieftain who shape-shifts into a selkie. He loves his selkie abilities and so must be convinced to allow the modern day time-traveling diva, Erin , to break his curse. Wow, was he stubborn!



What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?
Don’t give up. It may take longer than you’d planned to become published, but that’s okay. Take it in stride. The only way to fail is to stop writing and stop submitting. Keep learning and growing as a writer.



What are your favorite books at the moment?
There are so many, this is difficult to answer. I love all kinds of romance--erotic, historical, paranormal, contemporary. I love books with a lot of sexual tension, romance, emotion, delicious hot love scenes, and sexy heroes I can fall in love with.



What is your favorite word? Least favorite?
One of my favorite words is ‘delicious.’ (See above.) I overuse it in my rough drafts, then have to go back and edit or think of alternatives. One of my least favorite words is ‘manhood’ when referring to the hero’s you-know-what. I never use it. What do I use? I’m not allowed to list them here. LOL



I want to ask the readers the same questions: What is your favorite word and your least favorite word? I’ll give away a copy of my ebook, Kilted Lover, to one commenter. Thanks for allowing me to be here today, Denise! I enjoyed it!



Kilted Lover Chapter One Excerpt: http://mysite.verizon.net/restljm7/nicolenorth2/id18.html


Book Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Lz5dNoI0g



Buy Link: http://eredsage.com/product.php?productid=149



My website: www.nicolenorth.com

17 comments:

  1. My favorite word: languid. Just makes me want to lie back on the bed and.... read a really good book, of course!

    Least favorite word: Can't think of one offhand, so I'll go with the fabulous Anne Stuart on that one. At a workshop she told us, "I hate the word p*nis. It's such a whiny word!" Had us all rolling about in our chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite word is propinquity - can't explain the attraction, but years ago I saw it painted over a hut in a movie shot on an island. It means togetherness. Maybe that's why I like it. It has a nice sound! My least favorite word is quit - I learned during a six year bout of blackness in our lives that I am a lot stronger than I thought. Quitting was never an option.

    Your stories always intrigued me Nicole. Best of luck in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh, how rude am I? Pressed the publish button too early. Meant to also say, wonderful interview, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a nice word, Paisley! I hadn't heard it before. You're adding to my vocabulary. Thanks so much for your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maree! You did comment! Great! Languid is a really nice word. Anne Stuart is so hilarious, isn't she? I love hearing her speak. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the interview, Nicole. A closely related word to languid is languorously. For some reason, I think of a male cat shifter stretching.

    That's funny about the least favorite word. I could just imagine some effeminate male saying in a whiny, nasal voice. ugh! What a turn-off! My least favorite words, though, are probably certain curse word expressions and strings of words making a sentence with really poor grammar.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a big strong kilted Scot to toss me over his shoulder and carry me away for some really hot, sould-wrenching sex. Can I be your next heroine?
    Great interview, Nicole. You are such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like words where the meaning almost seems captured in the sound: blossom, bloom, hullabaloo. (Or maybe it's words with two o's in them.)

    Thanks for keeping us entertained with all those yummy Scotsmen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for checking it out, Chicks!

    Julie, thanks! Yes, that is a nice word. And LOL I agree about the whiney voice.

    Joan, thanks! I wish I could give away real kilted guys, at least for a night. Wouldn't that be fun? ;) I like yummy too!

    Mary, thanks! You're the next heroine in one of my books. :) Get ready to be tossed by a Scot. LOL

    Carly, yes, there are a lot of great words like that where the meaning and sound are the same or similar. I love those. And thanks! I enjoy creating yummy Scotsmen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite word is 'crisp' and my least favorite is 'discharge'.

    Hi, Nicole! I'm over from MySpace. Love the cover for KILTED LOVER.
    Oh, I'm a poet....

    Mel K.
    Meljprincess AT aol DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Mel, thanks!! Great words! Thanks for coming over from Myspace! LOL! That does rhyme. I was very fortunate to get such an eye-candy cover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicole, what a hunk! Congratulations on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Miriam!!! I'm loving my cover. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm... I've never really thought about a favorite/least favorite word. So off the top of my head my first thought for a favorite is "quintessential" I've just always like that way that sounds, and I like "q" words. My least favorite is hubris because darned if I can ever remember what it means. I just seem to have a mental block on that word. I look it up and slap myself in the head and say 'oh yeah, that's what it means...I knew that, that's easy!" Then I promptly forget it again, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never really thought about having a favorite word but here lately it could be contest I love to enter them I think it's fun. I think my least favorite word is bitch I may be one but it makes me mad to be called one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've used a random number generator to choose the winner. Meljprincess! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete