Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Pen Interview & Review : Samhain Publishing!

I have had the distinct pleasure of having an interview with Samhain’s spokesperson, Lindsay Faber. I also had the chance to read one of Samhain's books that they published. I also wanted to thank Perri Spector and the team at Planned Television Arts for such a wonderful job, introducing and arranging the review and interview.

Knightdreams.jpg

Knight Dreams by C.C. Wiley



Publisher: Samhain Publishing



Genre: Historical Romance



Rating:star4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gif



What I liked: What didn't I like about Knight Dreams? C.C. Wiley surely knows how to write historical romance. I found myself not wanting to leave Terrwyn's world. The dialogue, scenery, and the plot are just amazing. I really loved how her character was written, she's skilled yet she is cursed with a gift to see the future. Terrwynh's such an honorable character and I loved the way she was just so hell bent on getting her brother home no matter what the cost. This is when she later then meets the man she may set to be with, Sir James Frost. Together they will have to try to pave their future, whose to know whether it be together or not. Check out the excerpt to find out more. This is a must read for those who love historical romances.



Summary:

For king and country…or the love of one woman?

Knights of the Swan, Book 1

Wales, 1415

Terrwyn, the daughter of a dispossessed Welsh lord, is blessed with unusual talents. Her skill with a bow and cursed ability to dream the future, however, didn’t save her younger brother from conscription into the English army.

To honor a deathbed promise, she sets out to bring him home—and discovers that one of the king’s knights holds the key to locating her brother. Now she must stay close to her sworn enemy…and try to ignore the growing heat between them. A difficult task, when they wind up manacled together.

Sir James Frost, confidante to King Henry V, can trust no one, particularly the young Welsh maiden impersonating an archer within the ranks. With treason brewing, the last thing he needs is the secretive beauty chained to his side. The connection between them, though, becomes stronger than any links of metal.

When an assassination plot places their lives in jeopardy, James is torn between duty and the woman he loves. He must choose where his fealty lies…and Terrwyn must decide if changing Fate is worth the price.



Excerpt : http://samhainpublishing.com/excerpt/knight-dreams

***************

The Interview

First off, thank you very much for coming to The Pen & Muse Blog to review and for an interview. The Pen & Muse Blog looks forward to hearing from you and reviewing more books.




Thanks so much for having me. I’m always thrilled to have an opportunity to talk reading, writing, and digital publishing.



Tell us about yourself. Where are you from? What brought you to Samhain?

A part of me always knew I would love editing fiction, but I wasn’t sure the competitive world of New York publishing was a good fit for me, and there aren’t many opportunities in Cincinnati, where I’ve lived most of my life. A couple years ago Samhain held a contest for the best first line of a book, and I was checking out some of my friends’ entries when I noticed Samhain was hiring editors. I decided to apply and a couple grueling editing tests later, I had my first editing position.



How did you start in the industry?

As I said, my position at Samhain is my first in the publishing industry, though I edited newsletters, handbooks and policy manuals when I worked in university administration. What really brought me to fiction editing was finding a circle of writing friends for whom I did critiques and first reads. Our in-depth discussions about craft and methods taught me a lot about what makes a book work, and collaborating with so many different people helped me attune my skills to help focus on each writer’s vision for the book rather than my own.


What do you think about the ebook publishing industry right now?

It’s an exciting time to be a part of digital publishing. Ebooks are a hot topic right now as readers discover what digital has to offer and companies work to get in on the action. Dedicated reading devices like the Kindle, Sony reader, and nook, as well as iPhone apps, are making ebooks increasingly accessible and attractive to readers. We’re seeing the growth in our sales numbers.


What are your hopes and what you think they should change?

We hope the market for digital books will continue to grow and expand, offering new opportunities for readers, but for that to happen there will have to be change. Digital Rights Management - the encryption meant to prevent file sharing – currently makes files inaccessible and inconvenient for many legitimate users without preventing piracy at all. The industry is also struggling to set a price point for ebooks that will be attractive to readers but still profitable for publishers and booksellers.



Where do you think the ebook industry and the publishing industry is heading?

It’s a brave new world out there, and I think there are a lot of exciting possibilities. We’re a long way from seeing the demise of print books – Samhain’s own print program continues to grow – but ebooks are clearly going to be central to the future of publishing. The industry is going through a lot of change and innovation at the moment. It’s hard to say exactly how this will play out, but it’s sure to offer more options both for readers and writers. More ways for readers to enjoy their books and more varied content. More ways for authors to get their books in front of an audience and more career paths depending on your interests and skills.



What do you like to read?


When I find time for pleasure reading – which isn’t often enough these days – it’s usually romance. Historical romance was my first love, and I still read a lot of it, though lately I’ve been more into romantic suspense, categories (love Silhouette Desires), young adult and the occasional paranormal. Outside of romance I read a lot of graphic novels, classic literature, and whatever gets passed to me by friends and family.



What are your favorites?

How to choose? Even before I discovered romance, my favorites were romantic fiction – books by L.M. Montgomery, Jane Austen, and Bess Streeter Aldrich. I have even more beloved authors within romance, and couldn’t begin to list them all, but some favorites from this year include books by Eloisa James, Tessa Dare, Toni Blake, Larissa Ione, Karen Rose, and Catherine Mann.



Thank you again for your time and cooperation.

Thanks so much for having me. If any of your readers have further questions for me, I’ll be happy to answer in the comments.


10 comments:

  1. Hey ladies - great interview and an interesting read. It's always good to hear from those on the "inside", and encouraging to note the trends mentioned. Long live romance!
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview. You can never go wrong with a cozy read from LM Montgomery :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is the ultimate "book for me." And those comments, from Lindsay coming so close to the announcement of Harlequin Horizons, looked oddly prescient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking book. I think this era is my favorite! Castles, Knights, Princesses... Dream stuff! Thank you for sharing this and the interview! It's so interesting to learn about people! Especially the people who help bring our books out!

    Great blog!!
    C~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great interview and you mentioned a few authors I too love to read.. What better way to brighten my day that to read a good romance...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting review and great interview. Loved the cover of the book. Also loved your blog design, it's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denisse,
    Loved the post! I really do wish that they'd stop producing DRM books...would make life soo much easier for everyone!

    Happy Reading
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, Denisse, Samhain was wonderful and very insightful about the state of publishing right now, of course. I know you loved that book to pieces, too--which doesn't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview and lovely review! A truly fun read. Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting story and your book cover is beautiful. Best of luck at Samhain. It IS a wonderful time to be involved with digital publishing!

    ReplyDelete