Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Pen Interview: Yolanda Sfetsos of Faith Healer

Welcome to a late edition of The Pen & Muse Interview! I had the pleasure of reading Yolanda Sfetsos Faith Healer story and wanted to bring you an interview with her! Come and join us!

If you'd like to see the review on the book check it out here.


Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!

Hi Denisse, and thanks so much for having me here today.
I live in Sydney, Australia with my wonderful husband, lovely daughter, and cheeky cat. I’ve been writing stories since my teens and have loved every minute of it. Asides from having an overactive imagination that helps with my writing, I also love reading, going for walks, watching my favorite TV shows – Dexter, Castle, Supernatural, Burn Notice – and movies. Oh, and I enjoy research... especially if it’s about the paranormal/supernatural and mythology. Spending time with my small family is very important.

What inspires you to write?
Inspiration is everywhere. I guess as a writer, the potential for a story in everyday situations is always there. I love twisting reality with the supernatural. But mostly I write because I can’t imagine not writing. Does that make sense? If I don’t do something writing-related every single day, I start to get irritated. So it’s best to squeeze in a little writing time whenver I can. Lol.
I just love telling stories.

Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?
My muse is a total slave driver. Seriously, sometimes I wonder who’s really in charge when it comes to my writing. I might start a story and think I know exactly where it’s going, but my muse likes to change it on me. But that’s cool. My muse and I get along just fine. ;)

Tell us a bit about your Faith Healer Trilogy? What inspired it?
The Alyce Kerr, Faith Healer Trilogy is the story of Alyce Kerr, who happens to be a celebrity Faith Healer. Her power to heal comes from a binding with a demon. He gives her the power to help others, but sucks a little bit more of her soul each time.

I’ve always been fascinated with the concept of faith healing. That was enough to get my muse interested, and after a little research, Alyce was born. But I wanted her trilogy to be about more than just her ability. The focus is on how it affects her life and the way she sees herself as she slowly spirals into a cycle of self-destruction. She’s a tormented soul who doesn’t make the best decisions – which includes her relationship with Ross Garcia.

This is also the story of two people who love each other but just can’t seem to stay together. Something keeps getting in the way. It’s also about a demon’s obsession with the woman he’s bound to, and how he’ll do whatever it takes to possess her entirely... even if Alyce will do just about anything to get rid of him. However, that quest gets both her and Ross into a heap of trouble during the span of the three books.
Do you have any other works in progress that you want to share?
Well, I’m actually writing a spin-off that takes place in Alyce’s world. If you read the second and third installments of Alyce’s trilogy, you’ll meet someone called Sebastian. This story is about him. From the first time he appeared on the page, I knew he’d demand a story of his own. It’s a dark, sexy, paranormal, horror tale that may not have a happy ending.

I’ve got other projects in different stages of completion, and even some that are still circling around inside my head. There’s always something to work on.

What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?
I know it probably sounds cliché, but don’t give up. No matter how hard it seems or how many rejections you get along the way, if you love to write, keep writing. The more you write, the better you’ll get. And keep learning. Be open to listening to feedback about your stories without being overly sensitive.

And most importantly, enjoy the stories you’re telling. J

What are your favorite books at the moment?
I’ve been reading a variety of books in different genres. Here are the last five books I really enjoyed: The Drowning City by Amanda Downum, FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer, Dexter By Design by Jeff Lindsay, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and Grave Secret by Charlaine Harris.
If course, I’ve read heaps of awesome books this year and have many more on my TBR pile.

What is your favorite word? Least favorite?
I like to use the word 'awesome' a lot when I blog and Twitter. So, that’s got to be one of my faves. As for my least favourite, I don’t like the word 'no' much. It just sounds so final, doesn’t it?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Denisse! Thanks so much for posting my interview. It was a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great inview, Yolanda. I like what you said about finding inspiration everywhere, it's so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lily! Thanks so much for dropping in. :) Yes, it definitely feels like that with writers, doesn't it? I once got a story idea while I watched a cleaner wiping down some tables in a shopping centre. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yolanda. I have to agree with you about finding inspiration everywhere. There are so many writers out there who don't see ideas for new storylines facing them everyday. I'm glad you do.

    Truly enjoyed the interview. Great job, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to have you Yolanda! I look forward to having you on the blog again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Yolando,

    Although I rarely read paranormal, I'm intrigued by your story, particularly the inner look at how she feels about herself. You seem to be boundary crossing. I enjoy that in fiction. ;-)

    Nice interview.

    ReplyDelete