Friday, December 11, 2009

The Pen Review & Interview : Green Stone of Healing Series with C.L. Talmadge

GSOH1cover.JPG

The Vision: Book One in the Green Stone of Healing Series

by C.L. Talmadge

Author Site: http://www.greenstoneofhealing.com

Genre: Sci-fi/Fantasy


Rating:star4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gif


What I liked: I'm a big fan of science fiction and fantasy. The first book in the series is simply amazing. Talmadge takes you on a journey that you never want to end. Reading the first book in the series, makes me want to read the rest in the series. If you are a big fan of science fiction and fantasy, this is the book to come pick up! One of my favorite characters is Lady Mary Atlas, her character is so strong, brave, and courageous that she embodies what every woman should be. The Green Stone of Healing Series is quite a ride from start to finish! A must buy for lovers of science fiction and fantasy!


Blurb for Book One:
Lady Mary Atlas, former Consort of Azgard, has survived the utter annihilation of her nation and is now taking refuge in a submarine with a band of followers.

After she awakens from a nightmare, Maguari, a member of an otherworldly race known as the Mist-Weavers, appears to Lady Mary. He urges her to write the story of the peoples of Azgard so that they will not be forgotten and so that those who follow might learn the spiritual lessons behind worldwide destruction.

When Lady Mary wavers, he suggests she start with the story of her dearest friend, Helen Andros. She agrees and begins…

Excerpt:http://assets.booklocker.com/pdfs/3538s.pdf

Interview

Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!

A native of Los Angeles, I moved to England at age 14, where I spent my high school years in an all-girls grammar school. I learned Shakespeare and other English literature from those who know it best. I also twice cruised the Mediterranean, visiting ancient historic sites in Algeria, Greece, Italy, Libya, Portugal, Spain, and Tunisia.

I returned to the U.S. to attend college. After I graduated, I became a professional writer in 1976, joining The Suffolk County News as associate editor. Under the byline Candace Talmadge, I was a staff or freelance writer for numerous media that included The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, Forbes, Reuters America, Business Week, the Dallas Times Herald, and Adweek. I have written thousands of business news articles, county government stories, and features. I am at present a political columnist for The North Star National and also contribute to BloggerNews.net.

More than two decades ago, I encountered an alternative healing method called Sunan therapy that enabled me to resolve many of my emotional and spiritual wounds. This therapy also helped me become familiar with the intimate link between spirituality, energy, creativity, and healing. It introduced me to some of my past lives and those of family and friends.

In 1999, I co-authored nonfiction about emotional and spiritual healing based on the Sunan method of working in the energy of human consciousness. This book provides an expanded definition of energy that demonstrates the connection between matter, spirit, heart, and mind. It also argues that healing the individual and healing the world are interrelated in ways that perhaps many people don't perceive or expect.

The link between individual/personal and collective/global healing is one of the themes underlying my speculative fiction, the Green Stone of Healing® saga. The multigenerational novels are based on two of my past lives and the past lives of loved ones and acquaintances.


What inspires you to write?

Professional writers either crank it out or they don’t get paid. One of the benefits of my journalism background is learning to write on deadline and to write even when I may not feel like it. Writer’s block is an unaffordable luxury for me.

Beyond the practical, what inspires me to write is to tell a story. Whether that story is about business deals, government issues, personal healing, or what amounts to a fictionalized memoire, I am always telling tales. Fortunately, most people love a good yarn.


Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?

My muse doesn’t take over, but my characters do! I have found that in order to write good fiction, an author must know her characters inside out. Otherwise she will not know how they will behave in a given situation. Even then they can surprise. My characters often argue with me or do something I never expected from them. They take on a life of their own and pull me along for the ride.

Tell us a bit about the Green Stone of Healing® saga. What inspired it?

As I said earlier, this series is essentially a fictionalized memoire of two of my past lives, and the past lives of loved ones and friends. Since I was 12 or 13, I always knew I wanted to write a novel, and tell the story of an island nation destroyed by the conflagration of politics, passion, and piety. It become close to an obsession that consumed many years of research for me, and led me straight to much-needed healing for my many and deep emotional and spiritual wounds. Only when I healed significant issues was I able to begin writing the story.


Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?

I am close to completing the firth book in the Green Stone of Healing® series, tentatively titled Treachery.


What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?

Don’t focus on what’s popular or hot. Be true to your own story and tell it in your own voice. The only way to find your voice is to keep writing. Be inspired by novelists you like, but don’t try to imitate them.


What are your favorite books at the moment?

My favorites remain those that have stood the test of time. Fiction classics like The Lord of the Rings and Dune. I also read a lot of politically oriented non-fiction in my work as a political columnist.


What is your favorite word? Least favorite?

No favorites or intense dislikes. Words are tools, like a sculptor’s mallet or chisel. Wielded wisely, they carve out a compelling tale from the language bedrock. Used with little skill or discretion, however, words are as meaningless as static noise.





3 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thank you very much for introducing a great new (to me) writer. I enjoyed learning about Candace Talmage and her writing. Her site is also very well done. I'm looking forward to reading her novels.
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    RKCharron

    ReplyDelete