Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Pen Interview & Review: Rick Reed & Incubus

Incubus by Rick Reed

Author Website: http://www.rickrreed.com

Genre: Gay / Dark Fantasy / Horror / Paranormal

Publisher: Amber Allure

Rating: star4a.gifstar4a.gifstar4a.gif


What I liked:

Rick Reed surely entertains with Incubus which starts off with a sad tale of a man who loses his loved one. Surely it can't get worse, right? Wrong! Reed brings in the paranormal, after all all of those sad feelings and negativiity brings nothing good... or does it? An intresting read and a must not miss for lovers and those who love the genre alike.

Book Blurb:

Incubus is the haunting--and haunted--tale of Oliver and Ryan, a young couple who have traveled to Montreal from Chicago to get married. It's late and they're on their way home from their honeymoon--and their trip on Chicago's el trains and subways is fraught with strange characters, one a biker-jacket clad man who urges them to "Get close to Lucifer!" But the oddest stranger they encounter is a man in a zippered leather mask who waits for them in an underground parking garage with a knife. Only one of the couple will emerge from this encounter alive.

Oliver's depression overwhelms him, having seen his hope for a new life with his new husband squashed in an instant. He feels so alone. Or is he? When Ryan begins to appear to him again in the dark, and to make love to him, Oliver is happy...and in denial. He ignores this new Ryan's cold touch, his strange eyes, and the odd burns Ryan's touch leaves on his skin.

Has Oliver's despair and desire for his lost love opened a door to something dark and terrifying? Is the Ryan who returns to him really the Ryan he loves...or a demonic imposter? And when love is brutally ripped away, will Oliver decide it doesn't matter?

Read Excerpt: Here


The Interview

Tell us about yourself. Where are you from?

I am the writer Unzipped magazine referred to as "the Stephen King of gay horror." I have eleven published print novels, 13 exclusive e-books, and my short fiction has appeared in more than 20 anthologies. I have two new books (in both print and electronic formats) scheduled so far for 2010: Blue Moon Cafe (Amber Quill Press), a gay erotic werewolf story set to come out in March, and Tales from the Sexual Underground (MLR Press), a collection of my sex writings, slated for late spring/early summer release. I grew up in the Ohio River town of East Liverpool, OH a small pottery town of about 12,000 located right where Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the northern panhandle of West Virginia come together. A few of my books (Deadly Vision, Mute Witness, and Dead End Street) take place in my hometown's fictional counterpart, Summitville, PA. I spent most of my adult life in Chicago, a few years in Florida (Tampa and Miami) and now reside in Seattle, WA. I am very happily partnered with a man with whom I share custody of a spoiled Boston Terrier named Lily. I also have a grown son, Nicholas, who lives in Montreal with his husband. When I'm not writing, I'm reading, watching movies, cooking, or in bed.


When did you start to write? What inspires you?

Believe it or not, I have always wanted to be a writer. I remember writing my first short story at age six, my first play in fourth grade, and my first novella when I was in fifth grade, reading it aloud in installments to my classmates. By the time I’d finished high school, I’d already written a novel and dozens of stories and poems, all of which would now probably make me shudder…and not in a good way. What inspires me? Everything from dreams, to words, to good writing, music, and visual art, to how light looks on a rain-slicked road. In short, everything. Period.

Tell us about your stories, where do they come from? Your characters, how do you come up with them?

My stories come from deep within my subconscious. That sounds pretentious, but it's true. I often don't realize how much I am pulling from my own psyche until long after I've written something and see how themes might parallel my own experience, although these wouldn't necessarily be identifiable to the casual observer. My characters come to me, rather than me to them. They essentially write all my stories for me; I sort of just chronicle what they do and say and sometimes even I am surprised by their actions and words. Does that sound crazy? Don't answer that.

Does your muse rule you or you it?

Both. I think, as I said, a lot of inspiration comes from my unconscious and simply letting it happen. That's where the muse rules me. But in terms of writing craft, discipline, and just plain old hard work, I rule the muse. I am very disciplined and rarely stop working on my creative output.

What are you currently or looking to work on next?

As I mentioned above, I have two new books coming out within the next few months. I am currently working on a new novel called A Demon Inside, which is basically a haunted house story underpinned with a bit of gay romance. I have also recently contracted to be an editor with MLR Press and am also exploring some voice-over work for audio books in the coming year.

What would your advice be to aspiring writers?

Um, don't. If you don't heed my advice because you simply MUST write, then you are probably in the right place. It can be a hard, rejection-filled road with tons of competition and there are certainly much easier and more lucrative means to making a living. But if you have the bug and can't shake it, make sure you discipline yourself, that you read a TON (I'm a firm believer in learning by osmosis), and that you be ruthless with yourself in terms of editing. You also need to be open to criticism and realize that you never really stop learning.

What do you like to read?

Cereal boxes. No, seriously, I am a big fan of crime, suspense, mysteries, and horror. Go figure.

What are your favorites?

James Purdy, Ruth Rendell, Stephen King, John Kennedy O'Toole, Denise Mina, Poppy Z. Brite...these are all writers I automatically buy when they have a new book out.

What is your favorite word? Least favorite?

Nibble. Granular.

No comments:

Post a Comment