Friday, March 5, 2010

Blog Tour: Naomi Clark and Silver Kiss



booktour_ad.jpg

naomiphoto.jpg



Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself!


I’m currently living in Cambridge, England, but I’ve lived up and down the country over the years – everywhere from Newcastle to London, as well as Ireland, Cyprus and Germany. My dad was in the army, so we got moved around a lot before settling in Cambridge, where my mum’s family is from.


As for me, well... I’m in my twenties, my eyes are blue and my hair is (currently) red, and everything else is subject to change J I like catfish and cartoons from the 80s and own far too much perfume. I love slasher flicks and urban fantasy novels, and I’m not adverse to the odd cocktail.


What inspires you to write?



I really can’t remember how old I was when I wrote my first (terrible) story, but I’m pretty sure my love of reading led me to writing. I was the kind of kid who read the back of cereal boxes at breakfast for lack of other options. I always loved fantasy, mythology, and folklore, and I think that definitely influenced me. It was a sort of “I like this, and I think I can do this” mentality.


Do you find that your muse takes over when writing?


I’ll be honest: I don’t really believe in the “muse” method of writing. Of course imagination is a major factor in any creative activity, but what I write comes from my own head, nowhere else. I have days when I’m really into what I’m writing, and I’ll sit for hours frantically typing away without regard for food or sleep. And then I’ll have days when I really have to force myself to produce something, and I’d rather be doing anything else but try to write! But either way, it’s me in charge, not the muse.


Tell us a bit about your book, Silver Kiss? What inspired it?


Silver Kiss is the story of Ayla, a werewolf who chose to leave her pack several years ago, and is now trying to fit back into it. But whilst she’s doing that, she gets caught up in her PI girlfriend’s missing person case, and that leads to plenty of trouble for them both. It’s about coming home, but there’s also a pretty juicy mystery in there, a dash of romance, and plenty of action.


I’ve always loved werewolf and shapeshifter stories, and I’ve tried to put my own spin on old legends in Silver Kiss. The initial inspiration came from one of those old legends – the idea of werewolves being vulnerable to silver. The novel is a follow-on from my short story, Wolf Strap, which was published by QueeredFiction last year (although I think you can read Silver Kiss without reading Wolf Strap, it’s probably nice to have read both J).


Do you have any have any other works in progress that you want to share?


Eek, there are too many! I have so many half-finished stories languishing on my computer... I will soon be starting on the sequel to Silver Kiss, I can say that for sure. Everything else is a bit half-baked at the moment, although I have just finished rewriting another werewolf novel for my literary agent.


What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?


Read and write! Learn your genre, see what other writers are doing. The more you write, the better you’ll get at it – talent is one thing, but you definitely need practise too. And find some good critique partners – I’d be lost without mine!


What are your favorite books at the moment?


I just finished MLN Hanover’s Unclean Spirits, which I loved, and have now cracked open Jennifer Armintrout’s Queene of Light. I’m a huge fan of her vampire novels, so I have high hopes for this one! In the mean time, I’m eagerly waiting for Rachel Vincent’s next Shifters book.


What is your favorite word? Least favorite?


Hmm. Tough. My favourite word is probably maelstrom, just because it’s nice to say. Least favourite... I’ll say nuclear, because no matter how hard I try, I can never pronounce it right.



Noami's got a great contest for everyone. There’s an ebook for a winner at the end of today and everyone who enters now will also be in the running for winning a signed print copy of SILVER KISS drawn at the end of the week. Just answer this simple question in your comment to be entered into both competitions:

What’s your favorite/least favorite word?


Follow the SILVER KISS BLOG TOUR (http://www.queeredfiction.com/silverkiss.htm) for more chances to win. Check out the itinerary and join Naomi on the next step of the tour. And there are even more prizes on 1st March, the official SILVER KISS release day and Naomi is live for a Twitter Release Party #silverkiss.

Visit the Silver Kiss page at http://www.queeredfiction.com/silverkiss.htm for a reading as Naomi Clark reads from Wolf Strap! (Released in parts over the course of the blog tour!)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for interviewing me! It's a pleasure to be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super interview - and congrats on the publication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...least favorite word is parenthese. You know, these things (). I can never say it right. It just sticks in my throat.

    Great interview!!!

    heatwave96(at)hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete