Sunday, June 27, 2010

Review: Owned By Rome by Katalina Leon


Title: Owned by Rome

Author: Katalina Leon

Author Website: http://www.katalinaleon.com

Genre: Historical – Roman

Publisher: Ellora’s Cave

Price $6.99

Link to purchase


What I liked: First, I have to say how much I adore this cover. For me it simply sizzles from the screen and draws me in to learn more.


I don’t normally read a lot of historicals, but I am fascinated by ancient periods and especially the Romans. They were cruel, violent, deviant, loving, and among other things indulgent. And in Owned by Rome you see all of this. Atellus is a strong and noble hero that any woman would fall for and Rutila is the willful and strong type of heroine we’d all wish to be. In fact, all of the characters are richly drawn, from the disgusting cousin of Atellus to the slaves that wish to save Rutila from needless suffering when she faces death.


When I got to the end of this book I felt like I’d been on an epic journey. There were moments of highs and lows throughout that made it all very real. Atellus and Rutilla worked hard for their romance and I cheered them on the whole way. In the midst of fighting, hunger, and some emotional exhaustion there were some beautiful spicy moments. Some light bondage and domination elements are included as well.


The only issue that ever pulled me out of the story was some of the latin. While appropriate for the story, a bit less might have been easier on me as a reader. Still, I loved this story and highly recommend it and plan to check out more of Ms. Leon’s work.


Blurb:


On the edge of the Roman Empire, Queen Boudica’s rebellion has ended. A time of great tragedy has passed. Atellus, a Roman magistrate living in Gaul, discovers he’s no longer sympathetic to Rome and must now question every facet of his life.

A cunning Celtic woman with golden-red hair arrives in the slave markets, defiant and angry—a danger to anyone foolish enough to purchase her. As punishment for her willfulness, she is to be offered as a sexual favor to Roman guests at a lavish feast and put to death for their entertainment.

For Atellus, it’s love at first sight. He wants to own her. They embark on an erotically turbulent journey through a lonely Celtic forest. He suspects his beautiful slave is harboring a painful secret and must never again speak her true name. She is Celtic royalty—the last of her kind.

In the heart of the forest, strong-willed lovers clash, fall in love and catch a glimpse of what the future can be if both can learn to trust and forgive.

5 comments:

  1. Eve Cassidy, thank you so much for your thoughtful, beautifully written review. I am planning a sequel-Janni's story and I promise you and everyone, I will never use this much Latin ever again! Pheew... lol
    XXOO Katalina Leon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!

    Look forward to reading this story and the sequel. Thanks for the great review!!

    Hugs!

    jan, who is glad she took Latin in high school *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, CONGRATS on this! I love Roma too, now and yesterday!
    BRAVO to you for tackling this and doing such a damn good job!
    xxoo,
    Cerise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh a sequel! Excellent. I will keep an eye out for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read one other Katalina Leon book and loved it. Will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete