Monday, August 2, 2010

INTERVIEW: Jackie M. Smith

Today I had the privilege of interviewing Jackie M. Smith, author with XOXO Publishing.

Jackie, welcome. Where are you from? Tell us a little about yourself.
I’m a Canadian romance writer from Montreal, Quebec but born and raised in New Brunswick. I have three younger sisters. I love ice hockey, reading and I’m a big fan of Sex and the City.

What inspires you to write?
Anything and everything inspires me to write. Watching movies, documentaries, reading books or any day-to –day things can inspire me. It only takes a spark and the fire of creativity ignites.
For A Soldier’s Vow out now with XOXO Publishing, it was a WWI documentary on the History Channel that inspired me. Of course, I always take my idea to the next level and ask myself “What if?”

Do you find that your muse takes over when you write?
Definitely. I immerse myself in my story and fall in love with my characters. The hero and heroine take over the story in the middle. And I don’t fight them. They guide me and help me discover who they are and what they go through.

Do you have any works in progress that you want to share?
I do have a new historical romance in the works. This story is set in the late 1890s Klondike Gold Rush. Klondike Winter is about a young woman who must find gold in order to repay her father’s debts after his death. She gets help from her brother’s friend, a unconventional soon-to-be English lord, and together they travel to the Klondike. In my book, my characters learn about themselves, life and love. And of course, I always add some action, adventure and lots of sexual tension.

What would be your advice to aspiring writers out there?
Keep writing. Keep learning. Don’t ever lose your love of writing despite rejection. Build a network with fellow authors and talk with them. They are the best resource when starting out. Ask questions. Don’t be shy or afraid. And get your name out there with the help of social networking.

What are your favorite books at the moment?
At the moment, my favorite book is Knight of Passion by Margaret Mallory. I love historical romances. When I read this book, it takes me back to a time where men were knights in shining armor and chivalry was a code of honor.


What is your favorite word? Least favorite?
My favorite word is passion.

My website: http://jackiemsmith.weebly.com/
Buy link: http://xoxopublishing.com/shop-online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=53
Blurb for A Soldier’s Vow
Winnie Douglas always loved taking pictures of her family and her hometown. One day, while reading a war magazine, pictures of the soldiers whose strength and courage touched her. With her family's blessing, she journeys to Paris where a French magazine hires her to take pictures of the war.
Henry Whitfield answers the call of duty and travels halfway across the world to fight in the war. Far away from his family and Canadian hometown, he feels the loneliness. On the battlefield, he meets an angel. Afraid she is just a dream, he befriends Winnie.
War brought them together. Will it tear them apart?

Thanks so much for joining us today, Jackie, at The Pen and Muse. The best of luck with your books!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely interview, Jackie and Miriam. I, too, love historicals. Hmm, I'm picturing Richard Armitage from North & South as your hero. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now that question boggles the mind. Anyone have a good heroine for Jackie? Anyway, I love your concept of a WWI romance. Don't see too many of those.

    ReplyDelete