Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Review: Her Reluctant Bodyguard by Jennette Green

Her Reluctant Bodyguard
by Jennette Green

Genre: Contemporary Inspirational Romance
Publisher: Diamond Press
Cost: $3.99 for Kindle

What I Liked:
There are no words. Honestly, there are no words to explain how much I loved this book. This is probably one of the absolute best books I have ever read in my entire life. I just don't know where to begin.

First of all, I should say that, having just read the book, I am sitting on my couch, sobbing, just totally impacted by the experience of connecting with Alexa and Jamison through their love story.

This is a totally unexpected love story. She's an "Amazon" in heels and he's an Italian "imp" all in black. But in her flats, she looks in his eyes, and he looks into her soul, and absolutely unbelievable magic happens.

There is NO sex. None. And yet this was the most fantastically developed sexual relationship I've ever read in a book. I really didn't think it would be possible, but wow. By the end of the book, I was shouting "JUST GET MARRIED already, people, so you can get in the sack!" I know it sounds crude, but it was just unreal. The sexual tension in this book was hotter than hottest. And yet there was no sexual contact, no sex, no nudity (well, there was a little nudity, but it was HOT!). Every scene was emotionally charged. I kept thinking that I had to be nearing the end, because they couldn't possibly get any hotter without consummating, and then it would just get that much hotter. Oh, wow. It was incredible.

It just proved to me how unbelievably hot chaste relationships can really be. I mean, I've been in them... I know they can be hot. But at 31, you sort of lose your sense of awe for that experience. I review erotic romance, for crying out loud. I'm used to the "wow, you're hot, let's screw (and then fall in love)" kind of book. But I think I've converted officially. Give me no sex until the cows come home. That was the most beautiful love story I think I've ever read.

I mean, the hero is a short guy! Although he's Italian and has a thing for soccer, which immediately puts him to the front of my line. But who would have ever thought? My new favorite hero is 5'8"??? I love it!

Okay, you have to go out and buy this book right now. I know, I know, I never say that. I never encourage people to buy books, because I know that taste is really subjective, and I don't want you to come back to me and demand some kind of refund for your money because I recommended something that wasn't to your taste. But I'm going to break my rule. Go and buy this book. (If you don't want a paperback copy, which I'm going to buy immediately, it's for sale on Kindle for $3.99... that's less than a mocha, for crying out loud!) If you don't like it, I apologize... we don't have the same tastes. But I'm relatively certain that you'll like it. And when you do, please come back and tell me about it. And tell the author, because I'm sure she'd like to hear that you liked it.

I know I wrote her a long, weepy email right after I read "The End". It's definitely worth the slobbering all over my keyboard to be able to say to a really fantastic author, your book changed my life. Because it did. I don't mean to be overly dramatic or anything, but Alexa's story is my story. Take out the rock star and the happy ending, and it's my story. And it was just so profound to see myself in the mirror and think, there's something else out there, and on some level to really believe it. Even if I don't fully believe it yet. Someday, I hope I will.

Once again, there are no words.

Book Blurb:
Alexa's dream job becomes a threat to her life...

Successful biographer Alexa Kaplan never expected to meet her favorite pop star on the Today Show set. When Colin asks her to write his biography and tour with him in Europe , she's thrilled. It all seems like a fairy tale come true—until she begins to receive death threats.

To her dismay, Colin puts her under the 24/7 protection of his chief bodyguard, Jamison Constanzo—a man with whom she’s clashed from day one. If only she could spend more time with her perfect man, Colin, rather than spending all of her days with this black-hearted thorn in her side! Alexa struggles to control her flip attitude toward Jamison. Why does opening up her heart to him feel almost as dangerous as dealing with the stalker’s threats? But when the killer strikes, Jamison is the only one she can turn to…


An excerpt is available at the author's website, and the first chapter is available to read here.

Review by Rebecca Lynn.

1 comment:

  1. I've got my google alerts set for edgy inspirational and that's how I found your blogs.

    Wow! That's some review! I'm intrigued by this book.

    ReplyDelete